Mini Apple Pies
- 2 pounds tart apples, (I used Granny Smith, Jonagold & Fuji) peeld, cored and cut into 1/4 inch slices small enough to fit into each cupcake opening)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (or ground if that’s what you have)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- In a large pot or a Dutch oven, stir together the apples, brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cornstarch.
- Cook covered over medium heat stirring occasionally until apples are tender, about 18 minutes.
- Uncover and cook until the liquid has thickened, about 4-6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
The pies will be perfectly delicious if you use store-bought pie crust. I prefer to make the dough myself and below is the recipe I use to make a light, flakey pie crust.
From the Silver Palate Cookbook
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, chilled
- 6 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled
- 5-6 tablespoons ice water, as needed
- Sift flour, sugar and salt into a mixing bowl. Add chilled butter and shortening. Working quickly and using your fingertips, rub or cut the fats into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Sprinkle on ice water, 2-3 tablespoons at a time, and toss with a fork. Turn dough out onto your work surface and using the heel of your hand, smear dough away from you, about 1/4 cup at a time. Scrape it up into a ball and wrap in wax paper. Chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness on a floured work surface. Lightly spray the cavities of the cupcake pan. Cut circles, using a round cookie cutter or glass larger than the size of the cupcake opening.
- Gently fit the circles into the cupcake cavities. Spoon in the apple mixture, mounding it in the center. (the mixture will shrink so you’ll need to fill it generously). Dot the top of apple mixture with a small piece of butter.
- If you want a top crust, you can create a lattice top or another circular piece of crust on top. Using a fork I made sure that the top crust was connected to the bottom crust, trying to seal the two together so when they came out of the pan it did not separate.
- Brush the top crust with an egg wash – 1 egg and a tablespoon of cold water whisked together. Sprinkle granulated sugar over the top of each crust.
- Bake until crust is lightly golden brown and apple mixture is bubbling. (Place a cookie sheet under the cupcake pan to catch splatter).
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then run a sharp knife around the edges of cupcake cavities to loosen pies and using a spoon gently ease pies out of pan.
Makes 8 mini pies
Al Grant Realty Group – Re/Max Allegiance
Office Phone: 202-580-6607 – Cell Phone: 202-256-8592
Join us on Facebook: Click Here!
The finest compliment I can receive is a referral from a friend, client or colleague. If you know of someone thinking of purchasing or selling a home, I would appreciate an introduction. Be assured, I will extend to them my highest degree of service and professionalism.
Recipe Courtesy – Mama’s Gotta Bake